Monday 25 July 2011

Something for nothing.

So by now we all know that I am a Brownie leader, and very enthusiastic about it.

My Brownies, together with the local Guides, are holding a pamper afternoon for Mums, girls and assorted hangers-on (well, it's not exactly an invitation-only event) to raise money for new heating in the Church who very kindly let us use their hall for a pittance each week. I've been trying to find local therapists who are willing to come along for an afternoon to help out. They don't pay anything to be there, but all they make on their mini-treatments will be going towards helping out the Church heating fund. They can sell vouchers, take bookings, and get some free advertising in exchange for 3 hours of their time for a good cause. Sounds like a good deal to me.

But sadly very few therapists are coming forward to help out. It seems that people are not willing to do something to help a local charity unless they get something in exchange. It doesn't matter that they have an audience to whom they can sell their vouchers and make future bookings - they just don't seem to want to perform their mini-treatments for the monetary benefit of anyone other than themselves.

This makes me very sad.

I got into holistic therapy because I wanted to help other people, and the money side of it followed on behind. I offer free consultations and am always happy to take part in charity fundraising ventures, especially if I get to advertise too! Based on the experiences I had as a therapist down in East Sussex, I assumed that this was the normal attitude of holistic therapists, but I am finding more and more that I seem to be alone in my altruistic motives in this part of the world.

I've started approaching people directly, rather than asking groups generally, and I am hoping that some of these people will step forward and renew my faith in therapists. Surely there has to be a desire to give and help underneath the desire to become a therapist? Or perhaps we don't see advertising through Pamper Fairs as tangible because we don't receive a printed copy or see it on our computer screen? I can see no better way of advertising than by associating yourself with a good cause and talking to people face-to-face. But maybe that's just me.

Maybe we're just taking some simple principles too far. Reiki actually requires some form of payment, either in terms of money or by offering something in fair exchange. It is known as the Reiki Exchange. When Usui, the father of Reiki, first discovered that he could heal other people with this amazing energy tool, he rushed straight out into the streets, and started healing beggars of whatever caused them to be homeless. The beggars were leaping up, and rushing back into the world, completely renewed. After a week, however, Usui found that they were returning to their old ways. Without offering something in fair exchange, they felt like they were not receiving anything of value and were unable to maintain the healthful, positive way that their bodies were now functioning. Usui realised that because Reiki is intangible, people find it hard to accept unless they feel like they are offering something in fair exchange. After all, nobody will ever give something for nothing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment